St. Andrew’s began with members from our downtown sister church, St. Paul. The name St. Andrew’s was chosen because the organizational members felt their purpose was to bring new people to Christ, just as the disciple St. Andrew did.
The first service was held on Sunday, June 3,1956 in the cafeteria of Orangeburg High School. There were originally about 75 people who showed an interest in the early organizational meetings. On September 3,1956 there were 159 members. During the first full conference year, 1956-57, 117 members were added to the rolls. And by August 31,1957 the membership was 337. Over the years the church has had on its rolls over 850 people.
St. Andrew’s has had a marvelous history of service to our Lord through the development of a preschool with a roll of 105 children. We now have parents who were children in the preschool bringing their children.
Many missions are supported by the church such as is our Shepherd’s Ministry, our Mission Committee that supports four local missions, our youth participate in the Edisto Mission and Salkehatchie to improve living situations for the underprivileged of our community. Our congregation also supports Habitat for Humanity with volunteers and funds. We support Senior Meals, where meals are delivered to Senior’s within our community. Come join us as we serve Christ by serving our community at large.